Students who aspire to become physicians are considered to be on the "pre-medical track." Pre-medical students are free to pursue any major field of study, but must also complete the admission prerequisites before application to medical school.
Students need to be aware that the prerequisite science coursework for the pre-health professions tracks is only offered on Mercer's Macon campus. Students must therefore be enrolled in one of Mercer's colleges or schools on the Macon campus to complete any of the pre-health professions tracks.
Students should also note that the prerequisite for all introductory science courses (chemistry, biology, and physics) is "calculus-readiness" (competency in mathematics at or above the pre-calculus level). Students planning on following a pre-health professions track are therefore advised to take mathematics in high school at least through the pre-calculus level.
Pre-Medical Track Advising Resources
- Academic Requirements for Admission to Medical School>>*
- Scheduling of Pre-Medical Coursework>>
- Medical School Acceptance Rates for Mercer University Graduates>>
- Medical School Acceptance by Major>>
* For specific requirements for Mercer University School of Medicine, visit their website.
Current Mercer Students
Students enrolled at Mercer who are following one of the pre-health professions tracks should enroll in the "GPS" (pre-Graduate & Professional School) advising course on Canvas>>.