The Orientation Leadership Team (OLT), as part of the Office of Academic and Advising Services, have a tremendous opportunity to give back to Mercer by shaping the new student experience, mentoring and guiding the Peer Advisor team, and implementing orientation sessions and Bear Beginnings.
Above all, OLT care to give back to the Mercer community through positively impacting the orientation experience of our newest Mercer students. OLT serve alongside the Coordinator of New Student Programs, Director of New Student Programs, and the Graduate Assistant for Academic and Advising Services to form the Orientation Head Staff and accomplish all orientation tasks to assist in the transition of new students to Mercer. OLT must believe in the power of teamwork, aspiring to provide support to our Peer Advisor staff, who in turn support the incoming first-year and transfer students.
OLT Commitment to Service
Length of Position and Responsibilities
Time requirements prior to
May 2022 are kept to a minimum.
- Assist with Spring Orientation: January 6-8, 2022.
- Have and maintain a suggested 2.75 GPA and good academic and judicial standing with the University.
- Assist with the marketing for and selection of next PA staff.
- Assist with the planning and implementation of Spring Training for newly selected PA staff.
- Assist with Academic and Advising Services (AAS) SP22 New Student Programs
- Attend Professional Development meetings with the Coordinator of New Student Programs.
- Work 15+ hours a week in AAS from May 23, 2022 through the Saturday following Bear Beginnings (Saturday, August 27, 2022).
- Assist with the planning and implementation of May Orientation, eight Summer Orientations, Transfer Orientation, and Bear Beginnings, as well as subsequent PA Trainings. Dates include:
- May Orientation: Friday, May 20, 2022
- Session 1: Friday, June 17, 2022
- Session 2: Monday, June 20, 2022
- Session 3: Wednesday, June 22, 2022
- Session 4: Friday, June 24, 2022
- Session 5: Monday, June 27, 2022
- Session 6: Wednesday, June 29, 2022
- Transfer Orientation: Friday, July 29, 2022
- Peer Advisor Training: August 10-17, 2022
- Opening Days: August 18-19, 2022
- Bear Beginnings: August 20-22, 2022
- Collaborate with Graduate Assistant and Coordinator of New Student Programs to implement PA Training in August.
- Communicate with members of our Mercer community, new students and families, and PA staff while upholding professionalism and ethical standards.
- Maintain disaffiliation standards as discussed with the PA team and refrain from wearing clothing/paraphernalia that promotes one specific organization during employment.
- Assist with other aspects of New Student Orientation, as necessary.
- Co-facilitate UNV 201 for first-year PAs and assist with Transfer Meetups, as needed.
- Help plan and implement PA professional development opportunities throughout the semester.
Application Opens: Friday, November 1
Application Closes: Wednesday, November 13
Interviews: Tuesday, November 19 and Wednesday, November 20
We seek to select the best candidates for the position, regardless of race, national origin, ability, veteran status, gender, sexual orientation, age, or religion. Any sophomore, junior, or returning senior Peer Advisor can apply for the OLT position. Note: applicants must be available for the duration of the summer from mid-May through Bear Beginnings.