Class Outside

Advising Resources

As you advise your advisees, reference the information below to help your students. Please document all notes in the 'Activities' section of NEXUS.

Creating a 4 Year Academic Plan

The 4 Year Academic Plan is used to help students plan for their academic progression throughout their coursework at Mercer. The plan allows students to outline their transfer credit, general education requirements, major and minor coursework, and pre-professional goals while recognizing what should be achieved each semester as they work toward graduation requirements. Review the step-by-step Academic Planning Guide and Resources>>.

Exploring Academic Options

Ask your advisees about their academic interests:

  • What majors are within their areas of academic interest?
  • Would they benefit from talking more with the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) to explore their academic options (especially if they are still deciding upon their major)?
  • Have they completed a CCPD self-assessment to assess interests, skills, talents, and abilities and further explore and analyze occupational paths?
  • Are they available to attend Majors in Minutes>> to learn about Mercer's major options from peers currently completing coursework in those areas.  

Utilize the University Catalog on the Registrar's website>> that matches the student's first year of enrollment (unless they have submitted the appeal form and been approved to study under another catalog).

Declaring a Major, Minor, or Specialization

Read more about the major, minor, or specialization declaration process>> when your advisees are ready to fully declare their area of academic study.

Completing the Declaration Form

Students will complete and submit the Major/Minor Declaration form, which is located within their MyMercer portal.

Creating an Individualized Major

Students may propose a major or minor curriculum tailored to their individualized needs. In order to be eligible for an individualized major or minor, a student must have completed at least 30 semester hours and no more than 80 semester hours of college level work with a GPA of a 2.0, with at least 15 semester hours completed at Mercer University. Read more about the individualized major and minor curriculum committee requirements in the University Catalog>>.

Changing Majors

Talk with your advisees about their change of academic interest and:

  • Work together to outline a new 4 Year Academic Plan with their new area of study.
  • Talk about the credit hour and curriculum implications, especially if this change requires a change in college/school or dictates a need for summer school or additional time at Mercer to fulfill degree requirements. 
  • Assist any students in completing the Major/Minor Declaration form (Located in MyMercer). Note: This form encompasses changes in minors, concentrations, and pre-professional tracks as well.

Taking Classes as a Transient Student

An undergraduate student who wishes to take academic course(s) elsewhere and apply those credits toward a Mercer degree is considered a transient student. The student must have been enrolled and attended classes at Mercer for at least one semester prior to requesting permission to study elsewhere. Transient Request Forms are located within the MyMercer portal.

To complete a Transient Request Form, students must:

  • Indicate the course number, title, and credit hours of the transient course.
  • Anticipate the equivalent Mercer course.
  • Hand in the completed form to the Registrar's Office to 1) verify the Mercer equivalent of the transient course, 2) verify good academic standing at Mercer, and 3) send the form to the transient institution.

It is the students' responsibility to apply and be accepted to the transient institution, enroll in the course, and send final transcripts back to Mercer's Registrar's Office for transient credit to be earned.

Transient Student Reminders: 

  • If pursuing a Special Consideration Program, students needs to check their program's track-specific student handbook for any program restrictions before making plans to take transient coursework.
  • Only grades of "C" or better in courses equivalent to Mercer credit can be accepted.
  • Transient grades/quality points have no effect on the cumulative Mercer GPA; however, all grades are calculated for possible graduation honors.
  • Transient courses cannot be used to replace grades earned in Mercer courses.
  • Students can take no more than two consecutive terms as transient.

Additional Advising and Registration Resources

The following campus offices and resources can provide additional assistance in the advising and registration process:






Location & Notes

ACCESS and Accommodation

Katie Johnson, Director and ADA/504 Coordinator

Documents and advocates for students’ academic accommodations due to a disability


CSC, Third Floor


Bursar's Office


Oversees online payment plans, tuition bills, and any holds due to outstanding balance


Stembridge Center for Student Success

Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD)

Assists with exploring majors and pursuing internship and future employment



CSC, Third Floor

Financial Planning

Students can locate their Financial Aid Advisor’s name and contact info via MyMercer homepage in the ‘advisor’ tile.

Serves as students' point of contact as it relates to financial aid in attending Mercer



Stembridge Center for Student Success

Information Technology (IT) Helpdesk


Provides tech support (with the MyMercer system itself or student login) during registration

7000 contact_us.htm

Tarver, Second Floor

Registrar’s Office


Enrolls students in classes and keeps academic records


Stembridge Center for Student Success

Student-Athlete Support Services


Provides academic support to all new student-athletes and returning students, if needed

2963 student-athlete-affairs/

Ryals Hall

within the Academic Resource Center (ARC)

Office of Student Success (OSS)


Assists with registration hold removal process and follow-up support post-registration


Stembridge Center for Student Success

Study Abroad


Helps in exploring study abroad options


RYL, Third Floor

within the Office of International Programs